Thursday 24 November 2011

Candles, Books and High Heels

Today I was invited for breakfast at Miller Harris. The perfumer Lyn Harris has created the candle cardamon sucre, which infuses notes of lemongrass with sweet cardamon and bergamot, inspired by the romantic paradise Le Touessrok in Mauritius.



Le Touessrok, Mauritius


"My first impression of Mauritius was the view from the airplane of all the sugar cane plantations. The fragrance was very much inspired by this and the local spices." Lyn Harris


Le Touessrok candle by Miller Harris

We're far away from the hot sunshine and white sandy beaches but you can be transported there simply by the power of your imagination and through the incredible perfume of this candle.

One of my favourite winter indulgences is a hot bubble bath with a few scented candles to create a serene atmosphere. All your troubles leave you for a few precious and relaxing moments...





But I have to wait until tonight's new moon to be able to do so. This afternoon, Christian Louboutin, the man responsible for creating shoes that women just helplessly fall in love with, is going to sign his new book at Harvey Nichols and I want to join the queue!

No, I'm not a big fan of queues either, particularly when it comes to the most exclusive London nightclubs, but if I queue to have fun, I can definitely do the same to have a signed copy of this book.


Christian Louboutin's book cover (Rizzoli)


The author's signature gives the book a personal touch that makes it extra special. I have a particular place in my book shelve where I keep my treasured signed copies, from Viktor and Rolf to Naomi Klein and Isabel Allende, they represent different moments in my life.

I even have a poetry book signed by the Portuguese novelist José Saramago, who won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1998 and who defended love as a way of improving the human condition.



Louboutin shoe


But back to Louboutin... In order to promote his new book celebrating the 20th anniversary of his career, he has been this morning to Woman's Hour, an insightful BBC Radio 4 programme.

He saw the show girls at Folies Bergères in Paris as 'birds of paradise' and became fascinated by the way shoes make a woman move differently and even change her attitude.

I'm sure many women are thankful to these show girls for inspiring such an amazing designer! He'll be signing his new book from 5 to 7pm at Harvey Nichols.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad